Friday, August 9, 2013

Stupid

This entry might be a bit messy, certainly not poetic. I have a flurry of confused, scared, angry, and desperately sad thoughts running through my head. I'm trying to make sense of them and I'm only partially succeeding.

I've been doing crappy. We know this. I've been sinking again, floundering for my happiness. And then something happened. Something that I thought was wonderful and amazing and gave me hope - real, concrete, tangible hope. And then that something was taken from me. And I've sunk again.

I worked with Chance on Friday and was told that he was being retired and possibly put up for adoption. The whole session my brain churned with "what-ifs". What if I could adopt Chance? I could see him and groom him and work with him every day. I could have my dream. These thoughts were a whirlwind. So much so that I filled out the adoption paperwork after my session. It was a long shot . . .

Yesterday I got an email from N saying that Chance's previous owners were okay with him going up for adoption. I cried. I sobbed. I couldn't stop. I thanked God and cried more. I should mention that I've been needing an emotional explosion for the last week. This email . . . it opened the floodgates. So much came out. Joy and hope with Chance, sorrow and hate and sadness with everything else. I talked to J - he said we'd discuss when he got home.

I looked up boarding facilities, researched hay and feed prices . . . you name it, I looked it up.  When he got home I bombarded him with all the information I had collected. And he said we couldn't afford it. A slap in the face. I was dumbfounded. My eyes brimmed with tears, lower lip threatening to quiver. I fought back the tears, briefly, and shut down. It didn't last long. I went to the bedroom to let it out. I cried hard again, but silently. I didn't want him to come in. But come in he did. And I shut myself down further.

Shortly after that, I went to bed. I slept with the Chance plush I had made myself.

I'm in shock over how much I'm mourning the loss of a horse I never even had. I feel like a failure. I feel like I've failed him. I feel like I've failed N because I can't adopt him. I feel like I've failed the few people I told about the possibility. I feel like I've failed myself. My husband. My son.

And that makes no sense. But in a way, it does. I pulled a very bipolar stunt - I was impulsive, jumped in feet first, and failed to see the big picture. I latched tightly, insidiously, to this glimmer of hope and plowed forward moving entirely on emotion. And, as what happens often when I do something like this, I'm devastated when it doesn't go my way.

Now, being hopeful and excited that a dream might come to fruition then having it fall through will create mourning and sadness in anyone. Don't think I don't know that. This isn't a feeling unique to me because I have bipolar - this is a feeling experienced by everyone at some point. It's normal. It's natural. The bipolar bit - the bit that is the most frustrating - is my overreaction to it. The amount I've been crying, my anger, my complete feeling of failure and hopelessness . . . that's not normal. See, I was already feeling and doing kinda crappy, and now I have this superimposed on it.

I'll get through it, I'll move past it. I'll try to separate what feelings are normal versus my overreaction. I'll try not to overanalyze. I'll try not to beat myself up. I'll try to be gentle. I'll try to remind myself there are other things worth being happy about.

I was going to say "other things worth living for". But I'm trying not to be fatalistic, even when I feel that way. I have reasons to be happy and positive and optimistic about . . . I just have to remember how to be that way . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment