Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I'm Not Sure What to Think

I'm really not.

I'm sitting down to write because I've felt like I've needed to all day (I've been out at the therapeutic riding center all day working with both the kids and horses).But now that I'm sitting to write, I find I'm at a loss of words.

I've been struggling again, I think that's a given. I had ECT yesterday and I thought "oh good. I can talk to Dr. M and figure out something to do about these recurring depressive symptoms." I told the nurses as they did my intake and started my IV and they urged me to talk to Dr. M.

So I did.

And he really didn't tell me what I wanted to hear.

One, it can take up to 6 months to get the full benefits of ECT. Two, I need to go easy on myself, be gentle, and give myself time - it took awhile for me to get this sick, it's going to take awhile for me to get better. Three, I need to learn how to better manage/regulate my moods - it appears I'm getting triggered, having an exaggerated, bipolar mood reaction, and that I'm mismanaging that reaction (hence the episodes of despair or sobbing or cutting or intense anger).

I told him I was going back to a DBT group and he got a huge smile on his face. "Good. That will be good for you." The lead nurse, J, agreed that DBT would be wonderful for me.

So the plan stays: my current meds, ECT every other week, and therapy - both my regular and the DBT group.

Here's what's frustrating though: I'd had a couple of fairly good days and I had ECT and group yesterday. And today, today I'm at the riding center all day. Mucked stalls in the morning, work with the kids in the afternoon, spend time with my fave horse and barn buddy there, Thor (who, strangely, happens to be Dr. M's horse). All day I had to keep fighting off despair. It kept washing over me. Random times, no rhyme or reason. I'd be petting Thor and suddenly all I could think about was how nothing really mattered, everything was pointless, and that I'd eventually end up killing myself because nothing gets better. Ever.

I'd throw everything I could into fighting those thoughts and feelings. I do what I'm supposed to do: remain present, acknowledge the feelings, allow them to pass, replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Everything that I practice, that I've been taught to do . . . I do it. Then I finally resort to distraction. I go find something to do or someone to talk to or I immerse myself in grooming. Whatever I can to stay on top.

Today I had that despair wash over me at least 10 times. Even though I would count this a "pretty good" day, I still had to fight so much to stay on top.

Is this how it's always going to be? Always fighting, always struggling, every day? This is what I worry about. Because I don't want to do this every day. I don't want to fight my own mind every day. I'm worried that at some point I'll be too tired. Because what's the point? Why struggle?

I shouldn't think like that. That's not productive, right? I'm just so frustrated.

Well, I have therapy on Thursday, so we'll see what M has to say about all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment