Friday, January 30, 2015

Update

On Tuesday I saw my new pdoc, Dr. M. First impression: nice, personable, and no nonsense. He read through all of the info I brought him (my med history, illness history, hospitalizations, etc) and asked him why I had come to him.

Well, because the NP I was seeing told me she wasn't going to prescribe anything new, that meds won't help me, and that I'll be depressed and suicidal for the rest of my life and that I need to get used to it. Oh - and have you considered ECT?

His response? "Looking at your med history I can see why she would say that. She could have done so a little more tactfully . . . I think she's stumped. Have you considered ECT?"

"Um, no. It's probably not a good idea because of the short term memory loss, with me being a nurse and all."

He then went on to discuss ECT with me a little more in depth. He's been doing it for 20 years and has seen remarkable results with it. The vast majority of his patients have little to no issues with memory. The talk put me a little more at ease.

But I still really don't want ECT.

One thing he was willing to try was to start me on Lexapro (an antidepressant). Before I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder I had been on Lexapro for depression. Any time we increased the dose, I would get hypomanic for a couple of weeks. The hypomania would slowly wear off and then I would be okay for awhile. But then the depression would creep back in. Dr. M is hoping that since the Lexapro made me hypomanic in the past, that it will lift the depression now.

And that's it. That's all he's willing to try. If the Lexapro doesn't help and I'm still having issues with depression, my next step is ECT. Because I'm doing all the other stuff (CBT, trauma work, DBT, Al-Anon . . .). There's not much left.

Fingers crossed that the Lexapro helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment