Sunday, July 14, 2013

As Good As It Gets

Have you ever seen that movie? If not, watch it - pretty good flick.

And this is how my life seems. It's as good as it gets. No matter what I do, it's as good as it gets. Which is frustrating beyond belief. I'm tired of it, and I'm losing hope that it will ever change. In fact, I'm close to giving up.

But what's so bad? It's not like I'm suicidal or even close mood wise to where I was in February, so what's the big deal? Well, the big deal is that I'm not enjoying my life. Not much at all. Watching my son play with his friend . . . I'm annoyed. He does something cute or says something funny . . . I smile and feel nothing. My husband hugs me or kisses me or tells me he loves me and I return the favor but I feel nothing, or I get annoyed or I don't even know any more. I fake my way through conversations at work and try to avoid people. I'm a hollow husk of a person.

I've written this before. I know I have. Because this seems to be my new normal. If I'm not actively depressed, I'm a flat, withdrawn, empty, lost, confused shell. People don't understand this feeling - or lack of feeling, I should say. I'm not even sure I can accurately describe how it feels.

But I'll try.

Picture this: A desolate wasteland, a desert. Dead skeletons of trees litter the landscape. It's hot - the heat blurring the distance creating mirages of unknown things. A dry wind is blowing causing tornados of sand on the dunes and puhing the occasional tumbleweed by. There are no clouds and despite the sun being high, the light quality is that of a washed out twilight. The air is thick and it's hard to breath without your lungs burning. It's oppressive. It's unyielding. And there's this overwhelming sense of . . . . something ominous. Something not quite right. You can't put your finger on it . . . . but it's there.

This is the inside of me. It's what I imagine when I close my eyes. I can see it so clearly - it's burned into my mind. On the inside, the inside of me, in the middle of this wasteland, is a robot. A robot devoid of emotion. This robot is me.

I'm lost. I'm lost here and I'm scared. Except I'm not really scared. Because I'm not sure I can truly feel that. I'm kinda wandering around, staring at these skeletal trees, and trying to figure out what is going on. And in this robot body, in this dry landscape, I see the things around me - my family and friends, coworkers, strangers - and I struggle to be a part of that world. I can see the blue sky out there, hear the birds chirping . . . . but I can't grasp it. I can't move past this desert with its skeletal trees and sand dune tornados. But I try. The robot grasps for anything tangible, anything to hold on to. But it all too often slips through . . . .

There's despair with that, but that, too, is short lived and muted. No feelings last long in the wasteland. The wind takes them away with the tumble weeds.

That. That is how I feel. I don't even know if that makes sense. It probably doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment