Saturday, December 27, 2014

New pdoc?

I'm planning on switching pdocs. I was a bit displeased with mine at my last appointment.

(To refresh your memory, she told me that meds won't work on me and that sometimes people have a black cloud over them and are suicidal all the time and you just have to get used to it)

That rubbed me the wrong way. And by "rubbed me the wrong way", I mean pissed me off, had me sobbing, and stole away any hope I still had left of managing my depression. I couldn't believe she told me that. I mean, even if she was thinking that she shouldn't have told me that. Not when I'm depressed, suicidal, and losing hope on my own.

Not the best thing to say.

Hubby and a couple of my friends have told me to find another pdoc. That what she said was unacceptable. That it seems she's throwing in the towel. Meds won't work on you.

I am torn though. I keep thinking, what if this is all me? What if meds won't work for the depression and that I do just need to do more trauma work? What if this is a situational type of depression, that I have to buckle down and plow through and it's all on me?

What if?

What if I'm changing pdocs because I basically didn't like what she had to say? Maybe changing pdocs won't help anything. Maybe the new one will say the same thing. Maybe I'm just chasing meds, looking for the easy way out.

I look back at myself over the last 3 years, trying to see patterns, trying to see what I'm doing right and what I could improve on. I'm trying to be open and bluntly honest with myself. I need to be if I'm going to get stable.

One thing Ive noticed (and I picked up on this about a year and a half ago) is that once I start to get better I'll be better for a couple of months and then relapse. I get depressed again. And a year and a half ago M (therapist) and I discussed this. We talked at length my "not wanting" to get better. We worked through it, we found and worked through a few triggers, and having me identify this flaw within myself had curbed that tendency to self sabotage.

And I look back and I see no self sabotage for my mania (and hospitalization) last November, no self sabotage for my suicidal depression (and hospitalization), last December, and no self sabotage for my suicidal depression (and hospitalization), last May. I find no trigger, no form of self sabotage - it just happened.

July and August this year I was starting to become more stable. In October I started to slide, by November I was down and getting worse, and December has been horrid. I know I had one trigger: a piece of Al-Anon literature I read on forgiveness. It gave me icky feels. I worked through these feels in Al-Anon, in therapy, and with my hubby. I worked through them. I laid them to rest.

Now, knowing that was a trigger, I was doing all the proper things to counter the emotional response. I talked about it, I journaled my feelings and thoughts, I countered my negative thoughts, I didn't catastrophize, I did everything right.

I worked through it. I felt better about it, and felt that I had nothing more to say on the matter.

Several weeks later is when I really started to spiral. I did all of my CBT stuff that I've learned about, I talked to hubby and in therapy. I didn't let myself isolate - I forced interaction. Again, doing everything right.

So what the hell is going on?? Did I have a PTSD trigger that threw me into a bipolar mood episode? Is this just PTSD? Is this just a bipolar shift with no real trigger? Does it really matter?

Because here in lies the rub: I'm doing all my CBT things, I'm trying to stay present, stay in the moment, take it day by day (sometimes moment by moment), counter my errors of thinking, not isolate, trying to "fake it till I make it" . . . all the things I should be doing.

But they're not helping.

They should be helping. If this was all me, all PTSD, all a trigger, then this shit should be working. And it's not. M pointed out that that one Sunday at work where I was crap and laid on the floor for 2 hours because I was suicidal and didn't know what else to do was most definitely not a trauma issue - it was most definitely a chemical imbalance issue.

If all my behavioral therapies are not working that would lead to a chemical problem, right? So meds, right?

But my pdoc won't prescribe me anything else because she believes this depression is all trauma, all in my head. That if I do more trauma work I'll be fine.

I don't even know what to talk about trauma wise anymore. I really don't. We've gone over my abusive relationship and rape. We've gone over my dad's death. We've gone over stuff with my (alcoholic) mom several times. I don't what else to say on these matters. I have no idea. I don't even know what to say in Al-Anon anymore (I've been silent the last three sessions cause I have nothing to add).

So what more trauma work do I need to do??

There's only one area I see where I need more work: fake it till I make it. I've been faltering in this area. Why? Because it's hard to pretend to be positive, to be okay, to be well, to be not depressed. It takes so much energy and it's so much easier to give into the depression. It's better for me to fake it, it is. But I've been so tired lately, the past few weeks, that it's gotten harder. It's easier to give in. To not fight. See, part of me wants to give up. I'm tired of fighting my moods everyday. I'm tired of the knowledge that I'll do this for the rest of my life. It's too much to handle and so I'm slacking on forcing myself to seem okay (even when - especially when) I'm completely broken on the inside.

What the fuck do I do? Change pdocs I guess, see what the new one has to offer. I don't know. I don't even know. This is all very frustrating as fuck.

Also? I've noticed that since I've been on 600mg of seroquel my cognition is suffering. I forget letters in words or add extra letters, it's taking longer for me to think things through, to respond. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment