Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I don't like croup. Or ear infections. Or illness. Or flies.

That last one has nothing to do with this post, but I figured the info needed to be out there - you know, just in case.

My poor kiddo has been sick for almost a week now. He came down with a cold last Wednesday which quickly turned into croup. Which is pretty awesome. He has asthma so every time he gets sick, he gets croup. Which exacerbates  his asthma. Which then exacerbates the croup. It's the vicious cycle that is rather annoying and stupid and should be out-lawed in at least the lower 48 states (I don't care what Hawaii and Alaska do).

Anyway, he was on 3 days of steroids and cough syrup with codeine. He was coughing so hard he was throwing up. Which is nasty. It's not fun to be called into your son's room at 1am to find him laying in a pool of his own vomit (and if you think that's fun then you have more issues than me - which is impressive, let's be honest). But that wasn't the worst part. Oh no. We had to be whiny and cranky and then cry when we didn't get our way. And crying made us cough. And coughing made us barf. Goody.

By Sunday, he was feeling a little better but his cough was still horrific. So off to the doctor again on Monday. More steroids! Regular use of his inhaler rather than just rescue use! Hooray!

Now, keep in mind that I was with my whiny, sick son Thursday through Monday. My hubby was home Saturday and Sunday, but he was sick too. So I'm stuck dealing with two sick males - neither of which wanted to leave the couch. Well, by Monday I had had it. I was stressed and tired and frustrated and ready to burst. When I got home from taking my kiddo to the doc,  again, what did I find? My dog had puked all over the couch. Apparently she didn't think my son's puke was enough. Very kind of her to remedy that problem for me.

I lost it. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to scream or cry of punch something or all of the above. So I did what any reasonable adult would do - I smothered my son with a pillow.

In my mind at least. No, I told him that I had to go in my bedroom to cry because I was upset. And you know what he told me? "Good luck with that. I hope you don't throw up."

Needless to say I didn't cry much. It's hard to do that when you're laughing at your 5 year old's logic and wit. God love him. Even if he does have an ear infection now too. (as a friend put it - he's bringing home germs like they were damn puppies). So true.

No comments:

Post a Comment